September 10, 2007

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

The last couple of weeks I've been working on a hymn medley to sing with Ben and my friends Jayne and Jed Wells in church. We sung the song in church yesterday, and we had practiced it several times before that, but it wasn't until I was in the shower this morning, that the words struck my heart.

This is the first part:

Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources fail to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

Have you ever found yourself asking these very questions? Where can I find peace? Do you ever feel like you are trying to fill the void with the wrong kinds of things? Do you ever have to dig deep into your soul when you are hurting? I know I've felt that way and it just sounded so profound to me. I found myself going "yes, I felt that struggle for peace, but where can I get real peace in the middle of trials?"

Then the second part of the song came into mind:

Be still, my soul:
The Lord is on thy side
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul:
Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

I must of sung this song a million times, but never was it such an answer to my prayers. We can be at peace because the Lord is on our side. If we patiently endure our pains and trust God he will put things in order and provide for us. He is our best and most faithful friend and will lead us through the end.

Here is the final part of the song:

Our Savior's love shines like the sun with perfect light.
As from above it breaks thru clouds of strife.
Lighting our way, It leads us pack into his sight.
Where we may stay to share eternal life
Eternal life.

Our Saviors love is perfect; something that is given without us having to be perfect. I've often wondered how people going through hardships can claim they feel peace even though they still feel pain. Our Savior's love makes it possible. It's hard for us in our mortal state to understand how He makes it possible, but He does. Even when the path is unclear, or the trials are difficult, or the pain is strong, His love makes it endurable. All we have to do is ask.

3 comments:

jessica said...

I've always loved that song.

Lisa-Marie said...

I bet that was beautiful! Be Still My Soul is one of my favorite hymns.

Karalenn Hippen said...

How strange. I put a hymn cd in my car today and it had all three of those songs on it. They are some of my favorites. That section of the hymn book is one of my favorites!