November 1, 2007

Halloween

I love Halloween! It's been my favorite holiday for as long as I can remember. I love any reason to dress up and pretend to be someone else. Maybe that's why I love theater so much? Although, it isn't always comfortable when you have a million layers of petticoats, lace, and a corset, and then are expected to sing a dance. But just dressing up to stand around and look pretty is fun.

My kids have been looking forward to Halloween for a long time. Probably because I decorate the house the first day of October and then talk about it nonstop. This year my kids' costumes actually got worn more than a few hours. Someone actually asked me if I made them. Ha, ha, ha. I would have to be one amazing seamstress to get it to look that good, not to mention I would actually have to know how to sew. So my kid's can thank Grandma and the Disney Store for their costumes.

Last Saturday, Hyrum had his sunbeam party. It was so cute! They had all the fun games I remember playing like bobbing for apples, a fishing pond, and decorating Halloween cookies.

Then on Monday, Ben's work did a trick or treat thing at his office and the kids got tons of candy. It was kind of nice to just go around to cubicles inside a warm office and get candy.

Wednesday was a busy day! Hyrum had his pre-school party where he got more candy! Then our ward had trick or treating and games at the church from 5-7. So we hurried over there and let the kids get even more candy and play some games. Then we headed home for some homemade chili, and re-dressed the kids for the 3rd time in their Halloween costumes to go trick or treating.

We decided to go up to our old ward in Springville, since there wasn't a soul outside in our neighborhood. WOW! It was like a full out carnival. Every single house had over the top decorations like, actual graves dug out, moving monsters, flame torches, gigantic screens showing movies, you name it. I think the kids enjoyed looking at the houses as much as they did collecting candy. The really nice thing is our old ward had really small boundaries, 3 streets actually, so it only took us an hour to walk around and say hi to everyone.

Then we came home and let the kids pig out while we watched Hocus Pocus. We watch that movie every year on Halloween. I totally passed out on the coach, but Hyrum stayed up and watched the whole thing. Now is the sad part when I have to take stuff down. It's sad, because I don't really have any Thanksgiving stuff to decorate with , which means I have to wait until Christmas to decorate the house. I tell you, I just love dressing things up.

( I actually convinced the kids to dump all their candy into the treasure box. Now I can just put it up high somewhere and use it as bribery!)

3 comments:

Karalenn Hippen said...

I totally feel your pain about taking it all down. I don't have Thanksgiving either. I really need to find a way to love that holiday so I'll actually get myself to buy or make some decorations. You and your kids looked so cute. I'm with you. I love dressing up and being someone else. Isn't it funny and wonderful at the same time how many different Halloween parties there are all month long now? Don't you remember Halloween being a holiday that just was for one day. Our kids don't know how good they've got it.

jessica said...

Ains was snow white for halloween too...must have been a popular choice for costumes this year. You and your kids look so cute!

Lisa-Marie said...

You looked GREAT! And your kiddos are adorable too. I love the treasure chest!