November 2, 2007

More Baby Pictures

I had my second doctor visit today and it was a little nerve racking at first because they couldn't find the baby's heartbeat. Now granted, that was typical of both my other children at this phase, but it still worries me every time. My kids just kind of burrow down and hide until they get to big to play that game. Anyways, the doctor sent me over to get an ultrasound just to make sure and the baby was doing fine.

It is so weird to see how much the baby has changed in just over a month. The last picture was just a blob with some arm and leg buds, but now I could see fingers and toes and a nose and mouth, and the baby was just kicking and stretching away. It was so amazing!

I just think it's crazy that by 12 weeks, all the baby's major structures are formed! The skeletal system now has centers of bone formation. Fingers and toes have separated and nails are growing. Bits of hair are appearing on the body. External genitalia are beginning to show. (although I didn't see anything) The digestive system produces contractions and can absorb glucose. The brain is beginning to make hormones. It's just so cool! I'm looking forward to when I can actually feel the baby, although I'm not too excited to jump into maternity clothes again.

1 comment:

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh dear, you made me so so baby hungry. It's just so beautiful and amazing! How wonderful for you guys!