May 11, 2008

911

Whenever I hear an ambulance I wonder two things. First, where are they going and second what are the feelings of those waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Now I know the answers to both of those questions. . . they are coming to my house and the feeling is absolute panic.

Only fifteen minutes after my mother had left, did the crisis erupt. I was checking something on the computer downstairs and heard a faint cry. Babies do that, so I wasn't too worried, but I thought I would run upstairs and check since Logan was still under the "lights" and sometimes he pulled the blanket thing over his head or rolled too close to the side.

When I got upstairs I saw that he had spit up, rolled to his back, and was somehow choking. His arms and legs were stiff out in front of him and he was tomato red. I wasn't too worried though, I mean babies spit up alot too. Hyrum was the king of spitting up and choking.

So, I calmly lifted him out of the box and did the usual patting on the back ect. He coughed a little, but still seemed to be struggling. My panic level raised a little, but I was still in control. I ran into Ella's room and grabbed the bulb syringe and tried to suction out the problem.

I was able to get a little out but he still seemed to be going through stages of breathing and no breathing. Now I was panicking. It had been several minutes and he still wasn't doing great. His eyes started to roll to the back of his head and he was foaming at the mouth. His color was turning a grey/purple now and I had tried everything I knew.

I quickly called Ben to see if in my panic I had forgot something. Through all my sobbing I was able to recall him saying "call 911" over and over again. I hung up and called 911 still trying to help my struggling son.

The fire station is only 2 blocks away so I heard them the minute they left the station. Logan was doing a faint breathing by the time they arrived, but he was no longer choking and had regained some of his color.

The paramedics were so nice and understanding and re-assured me that Logan was going to be fine. They checked his lungs and breathing to make sure no fluid was in his lungs. Ben arrived just seconds after they had left. Then I fell apart.

I think I single handily ended the draught in Utah with all the crying I did that night. Every time I thought about Logan's distressed little face, the water works started. I called my mom and she was just outside of Salt Lake, so she turned the car around and ended up staying until Saturday.

The first couple nights were hard for me. I kept running out to the living room (he was still in the box) to make sure he was breathing. My mom slept on the couch and checked him anytime he made a noise. It was a restless few days.

Fortunately, the drama is over now and hopefully we can start to get things back to normal. Logan is out of the billi lights and sleeping in his bassinet, so I can somewhat sleep at night. The choking incident appears to be one of those freak things that sometimes happen, but thankfully someone was watching over us and this 911 call has a happy ending.

4 comments:

Evaly said...

I'm glad he is okay! That is such a scary feeling. Happy Mother's Day!

Mandy said...

That truly is such a sickening feeling and I understand not being able to sleep after it happening... I'm so glad that everything worked out fine. :)

jessica said...

How terrifying! I can't imagine what I would have done in that situation...you did a good job!

The Marshall Family said...

Oh how scary! You handled it well though.