December 5, 2008

Christmas Stuff


Our first order of business, after returning home from Thanksgiving, was to get our tree up. It's not a huge tree, and we got it for like $20, but I've always liked it. I'm kind of a scrooge when it comes to the tree, because I don't let the kids decorate it. Yes, gasp and be astounded at what a horrible mother I am, but I'm really weird with things coordinating and looking even, etc. It drives me nuts if there's an ornament out of place, so the kids help set the tree up and then we decorate it when they are in bed. Then they are really excited to wake up the next morning and see how beautiful it is. I don't even let Ben help me decorate it usually, but I was exhausted this year and decided I valued my sleep more than a perfectly decorated tree. Ben is usually in charge of all the lights on the tree and tinsel. I don't have any patience for that. Someday I'd like to have a tree downstairs just for the kids to decorate with colored lights, popcorn strings and homemade ornaments. Maybe next year, but for now, it's my tree :)



I am excited about a new Christmas purchase I got this year, stockings. I actually bought them last year in Boise the day after Christmas at this fancy store for 75% off. Originally they were like $20 a piece, which is ridiculous (I don't even spend that much on what I put in the stockings). So I bought enough for our family and two extra (believe me I won't be needing more than that). This way they will all match, even after we have more children. My mom's friend even embroidered all our names on them and they look so beautiful. We don't have a fireplace or even a mantle, so I got creative and hung them from my hope chest. Pretty clever I think.


I'm really excited because our ward Christmas party is tonight . (We missed last years thanks to kids throwing up everywhere). It's catered, except for the desserts which they asked everyone to bring, so I was excited to try a fun Christmas cupcake I've had a picture of for years. Usually I just make Ben make the dessert (I'm more of a main dish kind of girl), or I just buy something, but I actually went to the trouble to make something for this years party. I'm sure all those primary kids are really going to appreciate all the time it took for me to cut out all those leaves from fruit roll ups (ha, ha) So keep your fingers crossed that no one wakes up from their naps sick.

4 comments:

The Prices said...

I hear ya' on the tree...next year, we're so doing two trees so the kids can have their own. Taylee is a monster with our tree! The cupcakes look adorable, hope everyone was healthy.

Lynita said...

Your house looks so festive! I love those cupcakes, maybe I will steal the idea for Kaitlyn's class.
No I don't have that kind of time or energy, besides my neighbor is helping me do sugar cookies for her little B-day celebration. I love the stockings, I hope that I can get some on a good deal this year. Then maybe my mother-in-law can embroider them for me. Hope you enjoyed the ward party, ours is next Saturday.

jessica said...

Okay, I saw your cute cupcakes and then saw that you made them for your ward christmas party, and thought, "Hey, those are way cute, maybe I should make those for my ward christmas party?" Then I read that you had to cut the leaves out of fruit roll ups and though, "never mind."

Ruth Vest said...

those cupcakes look soooo yummy...