April 6, 2009

A Really Nice Conference


This year I was really looking forward to conference. I can't say I've always looked forward to conference. I've always watched it, but I haven't always enjoyed it. Most of the time it just felt long and I ended up battling with the urge to fall asleep (sleep usually won.) But this year I was really excited about conference and wanted my kids to be excited too.

Saturday morning I got up early and made bagels so that we could have breakfast while watching conference. Then Ben made cinnamon rolls Sunday morning. I think we are going to have to keep this tradition going.

I printed off a bunch of conference activities for the kids the night before. I tried this same tactic last year, but instead of giving them the whole book at once I spaced each page about 20 minutes apart so they wouldn't just scribble through the book in one talk. Then I just put the pages in a binder for each of them. We set up the kid table downstairs in front of the t.v. so the kids could work on their conference books and maybe give us a chance to actually listen to conference. Hyrum worked so hard on his book. He sat through both sessions on Saturday and the morning session on Sunday without hardly making a peep. Then, when the prophet spoke he just stopped what he was doing and looked up. I was so impressed, especially since I didn't prompt him to stop what he was doing and listen.

In the computer room we had a wooden bench full of snacks (we are talking bigger than the Super Bowl, which is kind of funny since we don't even watch the Super Bowl). So needless to say I'm sure I've gained several pounds.

On Sunday, Ben's sister Ruth and her husband Jeff came over to watch conference and we had fun playing games and pigging out together. We were able to spend the whole day with them and really had a fun time.

I felt so comforted after listening to all the many talks about being patient through afflictions and trials (it seemed like at least half were about this topic). I always feel like the talks were written just for me. Now I'm anxiously awaiting my conference addition of the Ensign so I can go back and read through their words.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Remember our Conference Picnic in the Park - Yard with the our little radio and fresh fruit? I'm pretty sure I got more out of conference this year as well.

Evaly said...

I totally feel the same way- I can't wait to get my hands on those talks!

Ruth Vest said...

we had a blast too! can't wait until october :) hopefully then i won't be on a diet and can enjoy the yummy treats more!