June 8, 2007

Dancemares!

I noticed I haven't written for a while, and the reason would be that I have been at rehearsal every spare minute. Normally we rehearse 2-3 months for a show, but we only have 3 weeks of rehearsal and it's getting down to crunch time.

I am so sore from dancing! I never realize how out of shape I am until I have to get back on stage again. I've learned 5 dances in 2 weeks and it's been crazy trying to keep track of all of them. I've been hunting down any friends that ballroom dance to try and refresh my memory.

I will be performing a jazz/lindyish number in "A Friend Like Me" from Aladdin. Then I'm singing "I won't say I'm in Love" from Hercules and thank goodness I mainly just have to walk around with that little hip sway motion that Meg does in the movie. I'm dancing in 2 songs from Mary Poppins: "Supercalifragi.." (I can't spell it) which is kind of a jazz/polka kind of number and "Chim Chim Cheree" which is a Vienesse Waltz. Then the hardest of all is a lindy/mixed swing number "Under the Sea" . The dance is killing me. I've only had one day to learn it, and I'm a bit rusty on swing. Not only that but the dance step is in 3/4 but some of the music is in 4/4. It's so hard to stay on beat when you aren't actually dancing on the beat!

I know it's getting stressful when I start having dance nightmares or as I have started calling them, Dancemares. I dream that I can't find my costume, or my legs won't work, or I can't remember any of the steps. They just keep getting weirder and weirder with each new dance I learn. The other night I dreamed we had rehearsal in my old Middle School, and the choreographer was showing me the steps, but my body just couldn't do it. Then the director came around and said we all had to have our vaccinations updated. So I had to try and hunt down the school nurse, but the show was going to start any minute. It was so bizarre! I'm just hoping all this dancing is worth it and whips my sorry behind into shape!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good look with the dancing Meg. I reckon you should just wear a toga for all the different scenes. Oh yes and claps for Arin for the beautiful new blog design.