March 6, 2008

Return to Avonlea

I don't think there is a girl in the world who doesn't have fond memories of watching Anne of Green Gables and just wishing that Anne and Gilbert would hook up. I think I was in middle school the first time I saw it, and I just loved it.

Another favorite of mine was a spin off t.v series called Road to Avonlea which originated in Canada, (although I think they might of just called it Avonlea in the U.S.) I was babysitting for a family in the ward and they had taped a few episodes. So after the kids went to bed I found a tape titled "Avonlea" and was really curious. Needless to say I totally fell in love with it. My favorite episode was "How Kissing Was Discovered" (the picture above).

I wanted so see more of the shows, but you had to have the Disney channel to get it, and we didn't have cable at the time. Some time later we finally got cable and there was nothing on Earth that could move me from the t.v. on the night that Avonlea would come on.

They were already several seasons into the series, but I never missed a show from then on. A season or two later they ended the show and I was so bummed, because it was by far my favorite show. Maybe I was a nerd watching Avonlea when other kids my age were watching Friends, but I just loved the idea of simplier times. I always felt sad that I had missed all the earlier episodes and that once it went off the air, I wouldn't be able to see it anymore.

That was until my best friend Karen, who was sympathetic about my hormonal and out of control/possible bed rest pregnancy, decided to get me a membership with netflixs. They have a million movies and t.v series. I was curious if they would have the Avonlea series and to my delight they had all 7 seasons. So for the next month or so you can find me in Avonlea.

4 comments:

Livingstone Family said...

I just want you to know that you have a kindred spirit. I too, was an avid Avonlea watcher, always daydreaming of what it would have been like to be there, and the fact that Netflix carries it-- may just seal a subscription for me. Thanks for sharing!

Evaly said...

I totally remember that show- I loved it too :)

jessica said...

I loved Avonlea too! I never thought about Netflix having it. I seriously need to get a subscription now!

Lynita said...

See now that is a great gift! I totally still love Anne of Avonlea, and I am sad to say that I never saw the tv series! But maybe I will check into renting it!