January 29, 2009

Thirty, Flirty, and Thriving. . . Well Just Thriving Actually

In the months previous to my dreaded 30th birthday, I must have really convinced my husband just how much I was not looking forward to this birthday because he made it the best day ever!

He surprised me by showing up at lunch time on Friday (the day before my birthday) and had arranged for his sister Ruth and my friends the Prices, (who were driving up from Idaho), to come and watch the kids while he whisked me away to a secret location.

No we didn't get married again, (like I could ever fit into that dress ). We arrived at this charming bed and breakfast in Midway, Utah called Inn on the Creek. Everything was done in a European style and just felt like we had really up and gone to Europe (my deepest desire). Ben got the best room offered, the Romance Suite, and it was so nice to just get away from everything and spend time with Ben.

O.k. obviously this isn't us (I turned 30, not 60 and I would never wear a cardigan over my shoulders), but this is a good picture of the restaurant there. It was really fancy inside and the chef was amazing. We started off with some delicious bruschetta, and then I was brave and had the fettuchinni alfredo with shrimp (I'm usually not a seafood person, but you're only 30 once). And the best part was they gave us 40% off everything, which was great since it was a pretty pricey place to eat.

That night we had so much fun just watching movies and loading up on junk food. It was so nice not to have kids bouncing on you every second to try and get to the treats or ask what was going on.

The next morning Ben took me home and my friend Rachel gave me surprise #2. She took me to the mall to do some shopping (thanks to the husband and some spending cash he gave me for my birthday) and then she treated me to a fabulous pedicure (again not a real picture of my feet, but you get the idea). Not only did they give your feet the royal treatment, but we got to sit in these huge massage chairs. After the pedicure, and a HUGE wait, we had dinner at PF Changs. The food was so good, but seriously 1 1/2 hours to even get seated? I was seriously debating stealing a fortune cookie, I was so hungry. I am a big fan of the lettuce wraps and the Mongolian BBQ Beef though and thankfully no theft occurred.

Rachel was so funny at dinner because she acted like she was in a huge hurry. She wouldn't even let me stop to use the bathroom before heading home (I'm totally serious). Little did I know she was covering for surprise #3.

I drove home thinking this was the best day ever and when I walked through the door, there was a surprise party waiting. Ben had invited some friends over for cake and ice cream. The kids were so cute to decorate the house with streamers and balloons and had even made a little banner for me. I was so surprised and I didn't take a picture of a single thing (Rachel did though so I'll have to steal some pictures to post from her). Note: No creepy clowns of any type were actually involved in this party. Had they been involved, they most definetly would of been harmed (I hate clowns!)

It was such a great day and I really appreciated everyone who thought of me on this dreaded, but wonderful birthday. And a special thank you to my husband Ben who was totally creative and romantic, despite his claims that he doesn't know how to be.

11 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! That is so AWESOME! You totally deserve it to. Any mother deserves a break now and then. Especially if you are planning all of the RS parties too. Congratulations to your husband for doing such a great job too!

Ruth Vest said...

that was a really sweet post-make sure ben reads it. i'm so glad you had an awesome birthday-i know how the 30 dread can feel... i'm feeling it already. i'm glad you had a nice break and a super happy birthday-we love you and you deserve it!!!!

Evaly said...

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am most jealous of your night away and your pedicure- I could use both of those!

Lisa-Marie said...

YEAh for Ben and Yeah for being thirty. I've been thirty for a month and a half now and it's not so bad!!!!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!!!! You deserve it.

Jenni said...

Happy 30th birthday to you! I totally understand dreading that birthday - mine is coming up later this year and I am not excited. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Glad you had a great one!

liz said...

I totally love being 30! It's way better than being 20. And it sounds like Ben made it way better too. Awesome job Ben! Happy Birthday Arin!

Colleen said...

oh i am so glad that you had a great birthday. being 30 is great. i still fill like i am like 22 or so. well a few more aches and pains. well you deserved to have the best day ever. so once agian happy birthday.

Best Dad in the World said...

That is one freaky clown picture. A picture like that will make people question my party planning abilities.

BrittanyLane said...

I missed your birthday! Sounds like it was great though. My brother's wedding was at the Inn on the Creek. It is so gorgeous!

jessica said...

What a great day! Thirty seems like such a milestone...way to ring in the 30's!

jayne wells said...

That is so awesome! I'm so glad you had a great day!