April 25, 2008

The Chicken Pox Imposter

I had a real scare today when I was helping Ella out of her pj's and saw that she was covered head to toe in red bumps. My first thought was it was a really bad rash, but then I remembered that she had had a fever just a few days ago and began to worry it was chicken pox. She seriously looked like a red and white giraffe.
II immediately called Ben and the doctor and paced around the house for an hour until I heard the verdict. I started to wonder if this was what Job felt like. I'm about to have a baby any day and if Ella had the chicken pox I wouldn't have anyone to watch the kids and I wouldn't be able to bring the baby home. I was trying not to let the panic settle in, but pregnancy tends to bring out the crazy in women.

Ben finally did call and to my relief it wasn't chicken pox. Ella had a virus, and her body was just reacting weird to that type of virus. Fortunately, that meant that Hyrum was still able to go to pre-school and after a few days Ella would probably be just fine.

It's been a long couple of days with contractions coming and going and no baby and I was starting to feel really frustrated, not to mention I was in so much pain since my muscles haven't done anything for 3 weeks. (I seriously felt like I ran a marathon!) However, the doctor said something that made me feel very grateful that this baby hasn't followed the usual pattern. He mentioned that if I had the baby right now we'd have to be a little careful for a day or two, but no real harm. If I already had a newborn at home, then he could of been in danger of contracting the virus when it was strongest. So I guess like Job, our trials can sometimes be our blessings.

1 comment:

Lynita said...

So what virus did she actually have? Kaitlyn just got "hand, foot, and mouth" which is not fun either and knocked her out of preschool this week. Of course she is actually taking naps which is great for me!