September 16, 2008

A Second Chance

The last few weeks I've been mourning the loss of a memory; my son's first day of school. I knew I couldn't turn back time, so I was just having to accept that I missed out. I just wished God could somehow give me a do-over, a second chance. I knew it was an impossible wish, and yet He made it happen. . . .

For years I've been researching a charter school in our area and just praying that Hyrum would be able to go to this school. New students are chosen based on a lottery and my heart just broke when I received a letter telling me he was 45 on a waiting list. Two weeks before school started I called again just to double check and he was number 25.

I had prayed fervently about where to send Hyrum to school, and I felt very strongly that he was supposed to attend this particular one. However, the odds were against me and I realized that I would just have to live with that uneasy feeling I kept getting when I prayed about sending him somewhere else.

On Friday, I received a very unexpected message on my phone, informing me that a spot had opened up and Hyrum could enroll if he so chose. I was in complete shock. I have wanted him to go to this school for so long, and there was the opportunity right within my reach. However, the choice was much more complicated now.

For starters, school started 2 weeks ago and Hyrum has already become familiar with his teacher and his routine. Not to mention the school is only a few blocks down the road and I carpool with our neighbor.

When I had originally filled out the paper work for the lottery for Reagan Academy, I had two neighbors who were already guaranteed spots. So even though the school is clear in Springville, I would have someone to carpool with. Now, however, both of these families have moved which would mean I would have to drive back and forth twice a day myself.

I still felt really good about the school, but since some of the circumstances had changed I really had to think about it. Unfortunately I only had until Monday to make this decision. Monday morning, Ben and the kids and I, toured the school and met with some of the administrators. I felt good throughout the whole process, and so we enrolled him to start immediately.

So, long story short, I got a second chance at my son's first day of school. I was up way too late last night buying his uniforms and then I couldn't sleep a wink because I was so excited. I got up super early and decorated the house with red balloons and confetti (one of the school colors) and promised Hyrum a special breakfast of whatever he wanted. We really wanted to make the transition more of a celebration of him "getting picked" to go to the special school. When we first told him, he wasn't really keen on the idea of leaving his friends and classroom, but he warmed up the minute he walked through that door.

I really feel good about this decision, even though it isn't as convenient for me, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for Hyrum either, but I think in the long run he will be so much happier at Reagan Academy. I just love that they have so many resources and specialty classes that other schools don't offer. I also really like that kids learn on their own level, and can progress whenever they are ready to move on. I hope this will be a good experience for Hyrum and I'm just so thankful for a Heavenly Father who knew how important this was to me, to allow me a second chance.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm glad that you were able to give him such a great "send off" to his new school! :) Archer goes to Hobble Creek Learning Center for Preschool and it's in Springville too. He only goes Tuesdays and Thursdays, but his school gets out at 2:30pm. If Hyrum gets out around then, I would be glad to pick him up as well. :)

Evaly said...

Wow- you made me tear up a little bit :) Sounds like you have been blessed.

Arin Rohrbach said...

Oh thanks Mandy, but unfortunately he's in morning kindergarten. How are your kids liking pre-school and kindergarten?

Lynita said...

Wow, Reagan Academy is so awesome, congrats! I am glad that after all of the trials you have been dealing with, that something went right! How are you feeling with the thyroid medication? By the way totally cute pic of Hyrum!

Anonymous said...

i'm soooo glad you got to be home for his first day and that he finally got into the new school-congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

i'm soooo glad you got to be home for his first day and that he finally got into the new school-congrats!!!

this is Ruth...i couldn't figure out how to sign in...

jessica said...

That's awesome! I hope all goes well at the new school, it sounds great!

jayne wells said...

Arin, I'm so glad this worked out for you! Sometimes it's amazing how prayers are answered.