October 15, 2008

Pumpkin Day

It started out being a fairly normal day, and somehow turned theme: Pumpkin Day! First the kids decorated some pumpkin pictures that grandma sent them with the instructions to mail them back so she can decorate her house. (Don't worry Laurie we'll send them out tomorrow). The kids went crazy with the puff paints and glitter, and it was a mess to clean up, but they had so much fun being creative. It's painfully obvious which one Hyrum did, not that he's obsessed with pirates or anything.

For dinner we made pumpkin pancakes, which are so yummy! Thank you Karen. They also have this cinnamon cream sauce that goes over them, and I swear they are one of the best things I've ever tasted. My kids wolf them down, which is another plus.

After dinner we carved pumpkins. I'm not really good at that whole free hand pumpkin carving thing, so I found some cool templates online. My hand is killing me, but I think they turned out great. Mine/Ella's is Cinderella's castle (maybe it's Sleeping Beauty's, I'm not sure). Ben and Hyrum's is the dragon from Sleeping Beauty. Now, I'm just praying that no mean kids decide to smash them, because there is no way I'm carving another pumpkin. For the last couple of years we just let the kids paint them, because I don't like touching the goo, but I dug my hand in there and totally shocked Ben. It was kind of fun actually.


So, our unplanned pumpkin day was a success! I'm exhausted and orange, but I can't wait to cook those seeds. Yum!

6 comments:

Heather said...

those pumpkins turned out really great especially with two kids helping. Good job! I've never tried a carved that difficult, you are brave!

Lisa-Marie said...

What a FUN day! Aren't days like that what make being a mom all worth it?!?! Your pumpkins are amazing.

Mandy said...

Beautiful Pumpkins!!! :) You and Ben did a fabulous job! :)

It sounds like a wonderful day. :)

The Prices said...

Sounds like fun! The pumpkins look awesome! I love the picture of your house, it looks so warm and inviting.

Karen said...

Good job Arin with the pumpkin Goo and all. I'm proud you have overcome your fear of GOO. Hope the seeds tasted wonderful.

Lynita said...

How fun! I think we better have a pumpkin night tonight, since Halloween is tomorrow! LOL! At least I have a cute reason for my procrastination this time.