November 28, 2008

Love the Turkey, Hate the Holiday

Thanksgiving is a time where most people feel gratitude for all their blessings. I however, spent a greater part of it feeling guilt. I feel guilty because I realize that most of the year I haven't been feeling gratitude for all the many blessings I've had, and instead have been dwelling on all the hardships and trials and "I'll be happy when's. . ."

I suppose it's human nature to always be wanting the next thing in life, but it isn't the nature of God and therefore shouldn't be the nature of those that have faith in him. I can recognize that we have been blessed, but I have not let it bring me peace and contentment.

I've read all kinds of books and talked to all kinds of people on how to feel happy and grateful in the present amidst adversity and found some wonderful advice. It's the applying part that I can't seem to figure out. I know something is true, and can apply it just fine when life is easy, but when life gets complicated. . . principles just go out the window and start sounding like something off of a seminary video.

Normally I don't like to open up on blogs. They aren't journals, they are public domains, but it just felt fake for me to make a list of things I'm thankful for that I haven't really appreciated. It's not that I'm not thankful for them, but rather I keep losing focus of them when things are hard. Obviously I'm grateful for the gospel, and my family etc. but I know I could do better.

I've actually always dreaded Thanksgiving, because unlike most people who use it as time to thank the Lord for their many blessings, I use it as time to take inventory of my blessings and if I've really shown them the gratitude they deserve. Being the perfectionist that I am, I always find myself lacking and needing improvement.

I think that's also why I've always been more comfortable with Christmas. I'm so busy with the spirit of giving that I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. That's one of the reasons why we are commanded to serve others, but again it can only help for so long, then reality sinks back in, the tree goes back in the closet, trials return, and I get stuck in the same rut.

It's that vicious Book of Mormon cycle. It's pretty easy to be righteous when you are prospering and have no trials, but the downward cycle is a lot harder to fight against. I know it's not impossible though. The scriptures are full of prophets who had difficult lives and yet still remained faithful and had gratitude, even in their difficult times. I guess that's what I'm really thankful for. A lifetime to try and figure out how they did it and a Father in Heaven that knows I'm really trying.

4 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

That was a very honest post.I think the important part is that you realize your short comings and are trying to work on them. Though, I think you should give yourself more credit. You are wonderful and are doing your best. That is all Heavenly Father asks.

Now, go turn on your Christmas tunes and feel JOY!!!!

Ruth Vest said...

i think your inventory of yourself is a little misguided... you are an incredible mom and wife and a wonderful person. the stuff that really matters... i mean really really matter... you have down woman! little stuff outside of that small circle don't matter in the long run. i wish you knew how great you really are...

Lynita said...

I think a lot of people feel the way you do. Thank you for sharing, because it is really good to work on applying more than saying your thankful!

Colleen said...

you are amazing. don't think otherwise. you are an amazing woman, wife and mother. you don't give yourself enought credit. we all just need to to the very best we can everyday and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ makes up the rest. no one is perfect and the important thing is that you are trying your best. remember "tomorrow is fresh with no mistakes in it." now go give your kids a hug