January 14, 2008

Potty Training Take 2

Several months ago we gave potty training a go with Ella. Although she was only 19 months old, she had all the signs of readiness. The only problem was she wouldn't go. She'd sit on the potty for ages, she understood the difference between wet and dry, she would follow all our instructions, but she just wouldn't actually go in the potty. She'd just wait hours and hours until eventually she would just explode. After 2 days of this I bagged the potty training and decided she just wasn't ready, despite what the books said.

Yesterday, Ella decided she really wanted to sit on the potty again. She refused to wear a diaper and went and got her big girl underwear and put them on. I had no idea what to do. I really don't feel up to potty training right now, but unless I want to take out a loan to pay for two kids in diapers, this really is the best time. I don't want to squash her willingness, but what do you do when your kid says they are ready, but you just hate the hastle?

All day she stayed dry and sat on the potty several times, but alas nothing in the potty. I knew she was going to burst any minute so I started taking her more frequently. Then about 15 minutes ago she exploded all over my cloth glider! She was just on the the potty like 2 minutes before that. I can not figure out what to do! She's doesn't act scared to go on the potty or anything, she actually seems excited to try, she just won't actually go. HELP! HELP! HELP!

2 comments:

Lynita said...

Oh man, I am sorry about the glider, I loathe potty training messes too! My pediatrician said that taking your new trainee for a walk around the block minus the stroller is really good for strengthening the muscles for potty training and increasing the urge to go. It especially helps with the good ol #2, if you know what I mean. I started doing it with Kaitlyn and saw a marked improvement. But as you might not be feeling that great, try sitting at the top of your stairs and play "fetch" with a ball or toy and have her go down and bring it back up to you, this way she gets the walking and you get to sit. Good luck and be glad that at least you have one of the most kind, caring, and compasionate husbands out there! Seriously Ben makes most men look like selfish jerks! Take heart and know that soon I will be feeling the strains of potty training as Ethan is 22 mos. and almost ready!

jayne wells said...

I am absolutely not the person to ask. I wish desperately that I was!