April 6, 2007

Pet Peeves

"Some Weirdos Pile of Orange Yarn"
As I lay in bed last night and was slipping into unconsciousness, I was thinking about funny things from high school and I remembered something I used to do called "Pet Peeve of the Week". Each week I would pick something that I found annoying and it would win the award for "Pet Peeve of the Week". For example one week I decided Orange Yarn is annoying. I mean how much demand is there really for orange yarn? Sure enough the next day my locker was full of orange yarn. So in honor of the great tradition of "Pet Peeve of the Week" I decided to come up with my top ten pet peeves. Well, actually they aren't really my top ten, but they are the least likely to offend or tick people off who do some of these things.
1. Empty Toilet Paper Rolls
You've all been there before, you're sitting down and you realize all too late that there is no toilet paper on the roll. I mean how often do you really take the time to inspect if every thing's in order before you sit down. The worst is in a public bathroom. At least at home you can scream for your husband or kids to bring you another roll.
2. Flipped Up Collars On Polo Shirts
I know it's all for the sake of being trendy, but it just reminds me of Count Dracula.
3. Soggy Cereal
Do you ever feel like you in a race with the milk? Who can get all the cereal first. And you can't let anything distract you once you've poured the milk or you'll be eating a bowl of mush instead.
4. Products With No Price Tags
Your in the middle of the store, and your kids have ran out of fruit snacks so they are screaming their heads off and you can't for anything in the world find out how much the stupid thing costs. So, you can either hunt around the store for one of those scanner things that 9 times out of 10 are not working or you just dump it into your cart. Of course it's not until you get home that you realized you just bought and $8 bag of grapes. (True Story!)
5. Cash Only
Cash? What's that? We live in the age of technology for heaven sakes, but you will still find yourself in a restaurant, having ordered food and ready to pay, and they reply "Oh I'm sorry we only accept cash or checks."
6. Loud Cell Phone Conversations
Who really wants to have to listen to the lady across the way discuss her yeast infection in full detail to her friend for 30 minutes? (Unfortunately, another True Story!)
7. Loading Dishes into the Dishwasher Before Pre-Rinsing
I know it sounds crazy to pre-rinse your dishes when supposedly that's what a dishwasher is for, but unless that thing has got a pressurized power washer installed into it, you're going to have dishes come out with food cemented on after the dry cycle. Perhaps if you have one of those fancy pantsy new dishwashers this may not be a problem, but if you are sporting the Flinstone model like us, pre-rinsing is a must! My Dad is totally responsible for warping me on this one.
8. Waiting
Yep, waiting just in general! Waiting in the line at the grocery store, waiting for your kids to get dressed in the morning, waiting for the scale to finally say you've dropped a pound, etc. I'm just not patient.
9. Channel Surfing During Commercials
Have you ever felt the carnival ride sensation when you are sitting next to someone who is just cruising through the channels at warp speed just because the show you were watching is in commercial. And of course then they finally do find something interesting and start watching and don't get back to the original channel has already been back on for a few minutes. It just makes me nauseous!
10. Mustard/Ketchup Juice
Ew, so gross when you don't shake the bottle enough and the mustard bottle ends up spitting on your bread. It just doesn't look any different than nasty spit to me.

2 comments:

Evaly said...

I can soooo relate! Thanks for a laugh :)

Anonymous said...

#5-cash only.

I noticed you said cash or checks. What restaurants are those by golly? I almost always pay by check and I get the "no checks" routine all the time. I realize not every good citizen has money to back up their checks, but don't retail stores realize they get charged by the credit/debit card companies too?
True story-the first time my husband and I encountered the no checks theme was on our honeymoon to Disneyland/California. It was everywhere! Unfortunately, Idaho is following suit nowadays. Among other adventures on that trip, we even ended up spending a night in our car (due to a complicated credit card mix up, but still!) Needless to say, I was peeved!